The spread of computer malware can be devastatingly fast — a cursory look at some of the top computer malware in the age of modern history shows the speed at which they replicate and the damage they cause.
From the ILOVEYOU virus in 2000 which saw fifty million infections in just ten days to the CryptoJacker ransomware which affected almost 500,000 victims to more recently the WannaCry attack in 2017 which affected over 300,000 computers in a matter of a few days, the defining feature of a computer malware, is its ability to replicate and create a digital pandemic.
How do computer malware spread & multiply and what makes them such a big threat for enterprises?
The reasons are varied and include the following major mechanisms:
Malware and its Self-replicating features
Malware such as a virus is mostly designed to replicate and spread as fast as possible.
It is programmed to create as many copies of its source code very rapidly, trying to spread to other systems, using any channel it can such as –
- Email – A virus can quickly infiltrate the email client of the affected host and email itself to all contacts on the person’s list, thus increasing the number of infections
- Open Ports – A virus will use a system’s open ports to spread its code and infect other systems. It may also have the ability to use the open port to download more malware on the host system overwhelming this system with a plethora of malware
- Internet – The Internet is the hotspot for viruses to spread whether it is malicious websites, fake software or social networking websites.
- Mobile Telephony – With most business professional using a personal device for their work, it has become very easy for a virus to spread through mobile devices, either through infected apps or messaging services.
It is recommended for enterprises to secure their endpoints to prevent and keep malware such as viruses at bay and from spreading. Seqrite Endpoint Security (EPS) facilitates world-class protection to enterprises by providing the endpoint and data security to organizations by providing protection against virus, malware, data leakage, unauthorized data transfers among others through an assortment of powerful features.
Some of the key benefits of EPS are:
- An integrated product providing comprehensive endpoint and data protection
- Enhanced security for Windows and Mac platforms
- A simplified, centralized patch management strategy
- Enhanced Device Control features
- Advanced endpoint protection thanks to integrated antivirus, intrusion detection, firewall and more
- Proactive scanning of installed applications to detect unforeseen vulnerabilities
- Uninterrupted protection against malicious websites, phishing websites, etc.
- Cloud-based access to control dashboard making it easier to enforce policies and compliance
- Detailed insights into every connected endpoint for uniform asset regulation
Through EPS, enterprises can oversee and enforce control over the use of applications and files on their network. Thanks to the in-built ransomware protection, ransomware is detected and blocked while for back-up, data is periodically backed up to a secure location.
Thanks to the various protection mechanisms offered by Seqrite Endpoint Security, enterprises can stop the spread of malware on their network and ensure they stay protected against any ongoing malware attacks.